Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tuesday morning, 2 AM

come night
take me in
put your warm hands on mine
give me your darkness and sorrows and secrets
be my friend and lover as before

strew your silver on the river and pour your rain
on the solitary streets and give them comfort
caress the street lights and the sleeping cars
your breath in every lonely engine sound
in every tired sleeping block

come night sit down and share my coffee and my cigarettes
look me in the eyes and tell me that you'll never leave me
that I'll always be your child no matter what
your brother and your confidant

that no matter what happens you'll always be there

come night with your slowing hours and your scent of time
hum your song of cabbies, cops and drunks
to your tune of distant sirens, distant horns and distant dreams
give my regards to the starbucks clerks and the insomniacs

come night with morphine for the wounded and insane
come night with clarity of heart and mind and memory
show me all I lost and never cried for
and let me cry

come night and lie beside me
breathe your darkness all around me

come night and make me human

once again

No comments:

Post a Comment